Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What's in a WebQuest?!

While learning about the Direct Instruction method of teaching, we were assigned to make our own webquests. At first, this task seemed very intimidating. I thought,
"how on Earth am I going to create a complete, interactive, on-line activity that will keep students engaged and thinking creatively?"

I was relieved when we went over the process of creating a webquest in class. It didn't seem that hard after all. So then I began brainstorming and thinking about an interesting and fun topic that children would enjoy learning about. I came up with: the life cycle of a butterfly.


I first presented the students with background information about butterflies and their life cycle. I included a bunch of pictures throughout the webquest to keep the students engaged. The ultimate goal of this webquest is for the student to find out as much information as he can about the life cycle of a butterfly, and then create a detailed poster of this cycle. Throughout the webquest, the student is asked to print out worksheets and complete different activities in which they will learn more and more information. To assess the students' work when they are finished, I have included a rubric at the end of the activity. Click here to check out my web quest!

No comments:

Post a Comment